French language??

John S Unite

19 Aug, 2019 08:42 PM

Hi, we have teams who only speak French, is it possible to switch to French language.

Thanks,
John

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by John on 19 Aug, 2019 09:18 PM

Hi John

Many people use Chrome translator. Try that and let us know if it doesn’t work for you

Best wishes

John

2. 2 Posted by John Unite on 20 Aug, 2019 08:08 AM

Hi John,
    Thanks for your reply. I am not sure that will work. My understanding is Dooster has mobile apps and many of our users will connect via mobile phone - so they will not have Chrome. They need to see prompts etc in French. Any ideas?

Thanks again,
    JohnU :-)

3. 3 Posted by John Unite on 20 Aug, 2019 08:24 AM

Hi again John, I looked for a mobile app but do not see one in appstore. Do you have one? How do you accommodate team members who are on the move and use their mobile phone?

Thanks,
    John

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Sue on 20 Aug, 2019 08:36 AM

Hi John

If you login on a mobile you will see the mobile view. You have a choice of using the desktop view on your mobile - which is what people tend to do :)

Thanks Sue

5. 5 Posted by John Unite on 20 Aug, 2019 08:42 AM

Hi again, I see from the help text that the mobile app downloads automatically when you go to the site - we will try it and see how the French translation works.

Cheers,
    John

6. 6 Posted by John Unite on 20 Aug, 2019 08:50 AM

Hi Sue,
    Thanks for this, we will set up a demo project and see how it works. A question though that I could not find on the FAQs. Can we send sms or message reminders to phones - for people who do not have email on their phone?

Thanks,
    John

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Sue on 20 Aug, 2019 01:18 PM

Hi John

re > Can we send sms or message reminders to phones - for people who do not have email on their phone?

Dooster's reminders / alerts etc come via email. There are services which can covert email to SMS messages. but I'd go the simple route. Simply get them Gmail accounts and turn ion notifications so that any email shows up on their screen as an alert

Re Mobile and translation: you'd almost certainly want to use "desktop view" in your mobile for translations

can i ask what you will be using the app for? We might be able to help you set it up for your best workkflow

Thanks sue

8. 8 Posted by John Unite on 20 Aug, 2019 04:20 PM

Hi Sue,

Thanks so much for your response and offer of assistance with a workflow.

I will outline the organisation and the functions we need to perform, and look to automate.

We are a spiritual teaching centre in the south of France, which in addition to the teaching, includes a small farm and accommodation for visiting members.

Members of the organisation (volunteers) work from time to time on the farm, on regular tasks, and on projects of different kinds.

The administrator needs a tool to plan and coordinate work, manage a calendar of events and communicate with members. Collaboration between members would be useful too. We need to be able to ensure people know what they have agreed to work on, that work gets done on time, problems are highlighted, and people can get to know each other, understand how their work contributes to organisational goals, and feel engaged. We do not need to track hours worked or costs.

Because most are part-time volunteers, the tool needs to be very simple, and for most, accessed via their phone. It must be simple for volunteers to see what tasks they have agreed to work on, with due dates etc. so they can plan their time. They also need to receive notifications in advance of events or tasks.

There are leads for each of the functions e.g. Agriculture, Catering, Accommodation, Technology, Maintenance, Conferences, Events etc. Each of these needs to be able to add projects or tasks, assign volunteers and receive acceptances or notifications if members cannot attend an event or complete a task.

Collaboration/chat would be helpful for members of a team.

There would be 100-200 people involved, depending on uptake, and of course there are all the admin functions of such an organisation, which could benefit from a collaboration/communication tool.

For me, the key success criteria are:

* Simple and natural for volunteers to participate (simple app, login etc, and understandable to French speakers).

* Volunteers able to collaborate and receive notifications via their phone during the day (they must not require a computer, nor email on their phone).

* Should have an informal ‘social’ aspect, pictures, chat, messaging etc

From what I read, the app has great functionality – that is not what concerns me – it is the ability to fit naturally and unobtrusively into to the lives of volunteers, many of whom are not used to business environments and systems.

I would be interested in your comments on the three key success criteria.

I would also be interested if you have special rates for non-profit/teaching organisations.

Many thanks and kind regards,

John Unite

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by John on 20 Aug, 2019 04:40 PM

Hello John

Yes I understand :)

Re your points:

There are leads for each of the functions e.g. Agriculture, Catering, Accommodation, Technology, Maintenance, Conferences, Events etc. Each of these needs to be able to add projects or tasks, assign volunteers and receive acceptances or notifications if members cannot attend an event or complete a task.

Each area would be a Project and each "lead" should be designated as a "Project manager" - see types of permissions etc https://dooster.net/wp/people-and-permissions/permissions-access-le...

re >For me, the key success criteria are:

• Simple and natural for volunteers to participate (simple app, login etc, and understandable to French speakers).

Yes it is about as easy as you can get. But see my comments on participation below...

• Volunteers able to collaborate and receive notifications via their phone during the day (they must not require a computer, nor email on their phone).

hmm not without email... but see below

• Should have an informal ‘social’ aspect, pictures, chat, messaging etc

We have "Noticeboards" in each project but imho You'd be best off having a dedicated tool for that eg slack or facebook etc

Re Participation

What this online tasks / project managing industry has found is that most people will not want to use the tool... even in businesses, where people are paid, the reality is that the "leads" are the only who will use it fully...

Even the very useful automated notifications and alerts - to an assigned person - might get ignored in a business.

But the good news is that you, the Team leaders / lead / project managers can get a lot of value out of the tool eg you can use it to see what's overdue etc.

It really does help by having the management team - and anyone else who wants to take part - all on the same page where you can see everything in one project overview screen or several projects in the global dashboard.

While none of these online tools will do it perfectly, what you'll soon realise, once you start using them, is "what's the alternative" to organising online ... :)

Hope that helps you

Best wishes

John

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 Aug, 2019 04:40 PM
12 Aug, 2019 09:02 PM
05 Aug, 2019 08:24 AM