Work days

Dave Saunders

13 Feb, 2014 04:31 PM

Is it possible to set up a recurring task using Dooster that occurs on specific workdays of the month? Accounting close cycles generally are keyed to workdays and not calendar dates. The 1st workday can sometimes occur on Friday the 1st or it could occur on Monday the 3rd or any other such combination.

Is this possible? I didn't see it as a standard option for setting up recurring tasks. Not being able to select workdays increases the level of monthly maintenance required by a magnitude of over 500 times for even a typical mid-size business accounting department.

Dave

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by John on 13 Feb, 2014 04:51 PM

Hi Dave

Thank you for your question

If I understand you correctly I think you might benefit from looking at Project Templates https://dooster.tenderapp.com/kb/projects/project-templates-cloning

ie you set up a project with your various standard requirements and can quickly copy it over for new clients

However your requirement might be much simpler? eg you can indeed set recurring tasks to occur on specific workdays - Simply select the Weekly / Daily option

Please see https://dooster.tenderapp.com/kb/tasks-advanced/recurring-tasks

If neither of these is a solution please contact me again and we might be able to make some changes in order to accommodate your requirement

Thank you

John

2. 2 Posted by Dae on 14 Feb, 2014 10:55 PM

John,

Neither the project templates or the day of week option work do exactly what I need.

All accounting organizations of any size generally arrange their close cycles along a workday concept. On the 1st workday certain tasks are completed, others on the 2nd workday and so on with financial statements being delivered somewhere around the 10th workday. The 1st workday could occur on Monday the 1st in one month, it could occur on Monday the 3rd in another month, Thursday the 1st in another month or even on Thursday the 2nd if there happens to be a holiday on the 1st.

If we don't have a workday option you basically have to reset the delivery date for each of the recurring tasks each month to manually accommodate the timing of weekends in your closing schedule. It is not uncommon to have over 500 tasks that would need to be manually adjusted in a typical accounting close schedule thus increasing the monthly maintenance time for a system like this by a factor of over 500.

Now that you have an idea of what I am trying to accomplish, do you have any thoughts of a way to accomplish this in Dooster? Having this capability would open the product up to managing accounting close cycles throughout the world since very few competing systems accommodate this.

Dave

3. 3 Posted by John on 18 Feb, 2014 11:01 PM

John,

Any further thoughts on how we can implement workdays into our recurring schedule. Is it possible to have a phone conversation about this?

Dave

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by John on 19 Feb, 2014 01:09 AM

Hello Dave

Sorry I'm a bit confused because you seem to be asking us to automate something that has to be set manually

Ie you say

it could occur on Monday the 3rd in another month, Thursday the 1st in another month or even on Thursday the 2nd if there happens to be a holiday on the 1st.

So these conditions vary depending on the particular project ?

Apologies if I misunderstand but in any event perhaps the best way forward is to outline exactly how you visualise the recurring feature could acommodate your requirement ie what option(s) would you like to see offered on the user interface

If you let us know we might be able to do it

Many thanks

John

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Sue on 19 Feb, 2014 01:30 AM

Hello Dave

Sorry I'm a bit confused because you seem to be asking us to automate
    something that has to be set manually

Ie you say

> it could occur on Monday the 3rd in another month, Thursday the 1st in
    another month or even on Thursday the 2nd if there happens to be a holiday
    on the 1st.

So these conditions vary depending on the particular project ?

Apologies if I misunderstand but in any event perhaps the best way forward
    is to outline exactly how you visualise the recurring feature
    couldacommodate your requirement ie what
    option(s) would you like to see offered on the user interface

If you let us know we might be able to do it

Many thanks

John

On Friday, February 14, 2014, Dae <
    [email blocked]> wrote:

6. 6 Posted by Dave Saunders on 04 Mar, 2014 09:52 PM

John,

I have an example that I drafted for the particular feature that I am inquiring about. Do you have an email address that I could send it to?

Dave

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by John on 05 Mar, 2014 07:34 AM

Sure Dave. Please send it to john [at] dooster.net

Thanks

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by John on 05 Mar, 2014 09:57 PM

Hi Dave

Just to let you know that we haven't received that yet.

Thanks John

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by John on 11 Mar, 2014 05:12 PM

Hi Dave

Just to let you know that we still haven't received that yet.

Thanks John

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 Aug, 2019 04:40 PM
12 Aug, 2019 09:02 PM
05 Aug, 2019 08:24 AM